Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Shift Change

In this photo, the aide is leaving and Matthew is standing with his favorite toy watching her leave as the verbal behavior therapist is approaching my front door.

I was sitting in the living room with my camera this afternoon because I've been working on teaching myself to shoot in complete manual mode with my camera.

Pretty amazing what you can capture when you just sit back and watch. Jorgie was doing homework at the dining room table, Tristan was playing on the computer in the other room, and Matthew was there...standing right in front of my lens, waiting. Waiting for his aide to leave and his therapist to arrive.

You see, to someone else, this picture might not make any sense. No faces? No smiles?  But to me, it spoke volumes.

The thought that came to my mind was 'shift change'. You might be thinking, what? Let me explain...

Every day of the week, minus Sunday, there is someone in my home who does not live here. From the time Matthew arrives home from school, until an hour before he goes to bed, and all day on Saturday.

This has been going on since he was 16 months old. At first, this took some getting used to. Sometimes you just don't want to be hospitable, put a smile on, or put a bra on for that matter! lol But this is the fabric of our home, our normal, our here and now.

You know that saying, It takes a village to raise a child.

I'm so thankful for the people who bless my life on this journey called autism.

1 comment:

  1. I love these types of images... No face but it leaves you wondering "what was happening". Great shot!

    I hope he continues to have good days:)

    Ralph Orona

    ReplyDelete